Besides reviewing your qualifications for a job and matching those qualifications to the job you want, there are a few things that you should do in order to make sure that the interview process goes as smoothly as possible. This ensures or improves your chances at a successful interview. Here are my top 6 tips to improve your chances.
- Dress appropriately– do not show up to an interview like you plan on going out to a club. This is a serious matter and it should be treated as such. You will not get a second chance to make a first impression. Do not wear gaudy or loud clothing, unless that is pertinent to your job description.
- Be prepared– know about the company you wish to work for. Show interest in their organization and let them know why you want to work for them.
- Be punctual– Arrive on time or even slightly ahead of time. Being late may make your potential employer question your work ethics, underlying attitude and dependability.
- Get enough rest- the night before the interview. Lack of rest may cause you to make mistakes, even when you are an ideal candidate for the job.
- Review your resume– It sounds simple enough but sometimes goes undone. A simple review and update of your resume, may go a long way in improving your employability.
- Be respectful– sometimes simple basic things such as having manners are missing during an interview. No one wants to work with someone who is discourteous. Being respectful also sets the tone of the interview and will allow you to assess the culture of the company. You may decide that the company isn’t a good fit for you based on the interviewer’s level of respect. Its best to know these things prior to the start of a job.